Autor Tema: Oil leaks  (Leído 9130 veces)

Desconectado Skavenger

Oil leaks
« en: Febrero 04, 2020, 16:04:13 pm »
Hello,
I am a prowd owner of a new Zontes T310 which i've purchased last year in 2019.
I'm new to this forum and i would like to thank you all for contributing with tutorials, manuals, videos and everything, it feels like a real community.
The weather in my country (Romania) has started to get better and i went for a ride with my T310 , but i've noticed some unusual aspects in regards to my bike.
There are a couple of spots on the left side of the motorcycle which have started to leak oil as you can see in the pictures below (hope i have attached them correctly).
Does anyone have any clue about why this has happened?
My guess is that either a gasket or a seal was broken, or the mechanics i've went to change the oil filter did not remove the 2nd plug (the one from the top as i've seen in the videos). They have put 1,7L of oil in my bike, because they sent me the remaining 0,3L bottle but i'm guessing if they didn't remove the 2nd drain oil plug and put in 1,7L there was too much oil and thus, pressure in the oil chamber.
Have you guys had this problem before?
Thanks in advance,
Cristian

Desconectado forozontes

• Administrator
Re:Oil leaks
« Respuesta #1 en: Febrero 04, 2020, 16:49:39 pm »
Hi Skavenger,

It's the first time I see this issue, have you checked the level bar on the oil plug? if the bar is full of oil, you are on the good way and your mechanic it's an asshole.

In this link, you can see the oil's replacement procedure(first video), and yes, it's oblied to empty by the two places.

http://www.forozontes.com/videos-montaje-y-desmontaje/cambio-aceite-x-r-t-310/

Desconectado Skavenger

« Respuesta #2 en: Febrero 04, 2020, 17:05:51 pm »
Hello,
Yes, i think he didn't take out the 2nd plug (the one from the top of the wheel), but anyway as i've seen from the video it looks like very little oil is coming out of there and i don't think 100 or 200 ml of added extra oil will have this effect even if he didn't drain it.
Also, i do remember there were some spots (possible oil leaks) present even after i bought the bike new and i took it for the 1st oil change at 1.000 km , mainly in the area of the 1st drain plug (there were little leaks but the mechanic was telling me the screws were probably not tightened enough and it was normal because of the breaking in of the motorcycle).
It does seem odd, i will investigate a little bit further and see what i can do.
Best regards,

Desconectado forozontes

• Administrator
« Respuesta #3 en: Febrero 04, 2020, 17:28:20 pm »
read this link, oil overfill it's not good. The link talk about cars, but an engine it's an engine.

http://www.t3atlanta.com/blog/car-tips/what-happens-if-you-overfill-auto-oil/

Desconectado Skavenger

« Respuesta #4 en: Febrero 04, 2020, 17:54:59 pm »
Hello,
I just returned from my bike and checked the oil level.
It is a little (2 mm) above the minimum level...about halfway from the minimum to the medium level so i guess i can rule out the overfill...but i should be careful in the future.
I think i need to check the oil seals, rings and gaskets :/

Desconectado forozontes

• Administrator
« Respuesta #5 en: Febrero 04, 2020, 18:28:28 pm »
Check too the smoke, and look the color. this is only for check if your engine consumes oil. I supose not, it's only to discard that the supposed overfill haven't damaged nothing, and you have a good oil's level because the engine had consumed the oil.

I suppose that you have a bad hold/s or/and seal/s.

When you know the solution, please explain it to us. thank you and good luck![size=78%] [/size]

Desconectado Lonjinos

• Global Moderator
« Respuesta #6 en: Febrero 05, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »
hola si te lo cambiaron hace poco y tienes bien el nivel sigue circulando unos días . puede que sea residuos del cambio de aceite o que se aya derramado aceite al cambiarlo si después de unos días sigue perdiendo llévalo a que te lo revisen

AL PERRO QUE TIENE DINERO SE LE LLAMA SEÑOR PERRO

Papi

• Visitante
« Respuesta #7 en: Febrero 05, 2020, 12:35:06 pm »
Me da la impresion de que en tu taller, han sido poco cuidadosos con el cambio de aceite, tiene mas pinta de derrame que de alguna fuga. Yo, cada vez que me lo han cambiado, he tenido que limpiar los restos de aceite. Eso si, hay una fuga en el tapon de drenaje, posiblemente un mal apriete.

Desconectado Skavenger

« Respuesta #8 en: Febrero 05, 2020, 13:47:41 pm »
Thank you all so much for your information and knowledge, i appreciate the help.
The motorcycle was cleaned after the first oil change, but the guy from the workshop told me to have it under observation.
I did not notice any drains for 2-3 weeks , but i rode the motorcycle mostly in town, at 4.000-6.000 RPM.
The oil leaks were present after i went for a trip to a nearby town and drove about 200 kms at highway speeds (100-110 km/h) and probably around 7.000-8.000 RPM (it makes sense, because the higher the RPM , the higher the pressure in the oil chamber).
I checked the color of the oil and it is almost transparent yellow (the ordinary color of new oil) , because i changed the oil at 1.000 kms and now it has 2.700 kms on the odometer.
No smoke was present and no other unusual sounds, the engine grunt is the same as before.
The oil filter and the new gasket / seal will arrive in aproximately 8-9 days so i will keep you guys informed when i will take it to the workshop to change the engine cover seal.
Until then, i will not use the motorcycle.
I was also thinking of using a lighter oil (for less pressure) , but in the manual it says only 10W40 (the one i use right now) and 10W50 so i guess i can't really play with the viscosity of the oil.
Again thank you guys so much, i will keep you informed.
Ride safely!

Desconectado Spiff

« Respuesta #9 en: Febrero 05, 2020, 17:05:26 pm »
Hello Skav!

Greetings from southern Chile. I´m sorry I am late for the discussion, but judging from your images, it seems clear to me that the O-ring that seals the oil filter cap was pinched or improperly mounted after the first oil change. Make sure they replace it at the next service.
In reference to your oil viscosity observations, your might be confusing oil viscosity with viscosity INDEX. The numbers (i.e. 10W-40) relate to the range of temeperatures in which this particular oil batch will RETAIN the intended viscosity. The wider the range, the more extreme this range will be.
Therefore, there is no harm in increasing the range recommended by the manufacturer (i.e. going from 10W40 to 5W50). Please keep in mind this oil will be substantially more expensive and you will derive no benefit, unless you are planning a trip somewhere with extreme remperatures (artic circle or the tropics).
Be safe and keep us posted with your progress in resolving this issue.

Desconectado Skavenger

« Respuesta #10 en: Abril 22, 2020, 22:16:12 pm »
Hello guys,
Sorry for the slow response, i have waited for the o-ring of the engine cover for 40-50 days. I managed to change the o-ring about a couple of days ago and indeed it was pinched and also there was no sealing paste present on the cover's margins so it was naturally leaking (sweating) oil there. Also, the oil drain plug seal is good and there are no leaks anymore.
My mechanic replaced the engine cover gasket and added the sealant paste and it's ok now...i'm still keeping things under observation :D
I will let you guys know if there are any further issues, thank you for your support and advices ^:)^
Best of luck and may the new riding season come with many adventures <3

Desconectado chipe2004

« Respuesta #11 en: Abril 23, 2020, 16:24:56 pm »
Well, I'm glad you fixed it. Keep enjoying your bike.
Bye

Desconectado forozontes

• Administrator
« Respuesta #12 en: Abril 23, 2020, 19:14:37 pm »

I'm glad you solved the problem. Sorry for saying that your mechanic is an asshole. I understand, then, that it was a manufacturing problem of the motorcycle?

Desconectado Skavenger

« Respuesta #13 en: Junio 23, 2020, 11:01:58 am »
Hello,

Yes, it was a manufacturing problem and they replaced the o-ring free of charge.

Drive safe everyone!